Ganga Gram Yojana Details and Wiki – Namami Gange Scheme
Ganga Gram Yojana Wikipedia details: An initiative called ‘Ganga Gram’ was launched under Namami Gange Programme, a flagship program by Union government to clean Ganga. About 1600 villages across banks of the Ganga river in Uttar Pradesh are to be developed under the scheme.
Objectives of Ganga Gram Yojana
- The Ganga Gram initiative would undertake Ganga rejuvenation process.
- It is aimed to make villages open defecation free.
- Direct discharging of untreated liquid wastewater into river Ganga is to be diverted to sewage treatment
- It focuses on facilitating infrastructure for crematoria to check cremation near the river.
- In order to reduce pollution, solid waste disposal facilities are to be developed.
- To promote sanitation and cleanliness practices in the villages.
Details of Ganga Gram Yojana
- Under Ganga Gram, villages are to be developed as model villages by providing sustainable sanitation infrastructure and hygiene. 306 villages have been selected in the first phase of the Ganga Gram.
- Conditional assessment and feasibility study for 100 villages have been identified are carried out by IIT consortium, 128 villages by CPSUs and 78 villages by UNDP under Ganga Gram.
- An inspection program named Nirikshan Abhiyan has been organized by Ministry of Water Resources, River Development, and Ganga Rejuvenation.
- Various activities that will be taken up under the programme are tree plantation along the Ganga, development of Ganga Ghats, revive water of the river and open drain falling into the Ganga. In select villages, the public interaction was organized to help understand the village condition.
- In a bid to clean and rejuvenate the Ganga river, active participation from the people of the villages selected under the programme is considered and for that a sanitization programme, Swachh Ganga-Gramin Sehbhagita programme has been planned. About 1200 Gram Pradhans from villages attended the programme.
- The identified villages are to be made Open Defecation Free (ODF) under the programme. About 15, 18,649 Individual House Hold Latrine (IHHL) are to be constructed under Swachh Bharat Mission.
- Under Seechewal Model of Sanitation Programme, Gram Pradhans/Sarpanch of all villages located along the River Ganga has been facilitated exposure visit to the villages in other states where wastewater management system have been successfully operational. This is to extend the first-hand experience and envisages learning through personal interaction.
‘Ganga Gram’ under Namami Gange is a major initiative by Union Government to clean Ganga and develop villages situated across the stem of the river Ganga.
More Related Tags:
- how many villages under Ganga gram Yojana
- Ganga gram Yojana Wikipedia/UPSC/gktoday
- Nanami gange programme under which ministry