Kishori Suraksha Yojana 2017 Uttar Pradesh (UP)
KSY Uttar Pradesh: According to the reports, about 28 lakh adolescent girls in Uttar Pradesh don’t attend school during their menstrual cycle every month. And 19 lakh girls leave schools once they attain puberty. This is a very dismal scenario and government of the state swung into action to improve the situation. To ensure that girls don’t suffer and stay in the school, the government has introduced Kishori Suraksha Yojana since August 2015.
The state health department provides free sanitary napkins to the girls going to school.
Features of the Scheme
- The scheme covers all girls studying in government and government-aided schools in the state.
- Each girl is provided a pack of 10 sanitary napkins each month.
- Girl students from class 6th to 12th will provide the napkins.
- It will cover around 45,000 girls studying in upper primary, secondary and higher secondary school.
A survey conducted by UNICEF on the hygiene of the girls in India during menstruation reveals the striking result. The study shows that over 85% of the girls don’t use sanitary napkins.
Either they use clothes or some unhygienic stuff. It is not hygienic as well as doesn’t provide enough protection and fear of staining causes girls to stay away from going to school.
The majority of the girls are also lacking proper education about hygiene during menstruation which can lead to infection and other problems. Uses of sanitary napkins help girls feel safer and they won’t feel any embarrassed.
Myths and stigmatization of menstruation are also caused many problems prevailing. The girls are to be educated about the natural process of menstruation.
An awareness campaign about sanitation and hygiene during menstruation among the adolescent girls is a need of the time.
Kishori Suraksha Yojana is an honest effort to help adolescent girls to feel safer and maintain hygiene during the menstrual cycle. The girls won’t have to stop going to school and won’t have to leave studies.
More Related Queries:
- List of government schemes in UP
- free sanitary napkins for schools
- Kishori Shakti Yojana UP
- Maternal and Child Health
- Kishori Suraksha Yojana application form
- KSY Uttar Pradesh
- Ministry Of Women & Child Development