SAGY Scheme to Develop Role Model Village
With a view to empowering villages by providing them all the amenities, Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana was launched on 11th October 2014.
The scheme is to develop role model village by each Member of Parliament in their constituencies. They are to take up three villages. One village is to be developed by 2016 and two more by the year 2019.
Thereafter, five such villages are to be selected and developed as Adarsh Grams (one each year) by 2024. This role model village can be followed to develop other villages.
The scheme envisages the integrated development of the villages and to foster community spirit. It focuses on multiple areas that include agriculture, education, health and sanitation, means of livelihoods etc. It is not only to provide amenities and physical infrastructure but also improve the standard of living, enrich social development and foster community spirit. It will help positive change and sustainability in the long term.
Objectives of Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana
It is aimed at holistic development of the identified villages. Main objectives of the Yojana are:
- To improve the living standard and quality of life of all sections of the people living in the villages.
- To strengthen local democracy through transparent Gram Panchayats and promote effective local governance which can be adapted by other neighboring Gram Panchayats.
Identification of Villages under Adarsh Gram Yojana
A Gram Panchayat with a population of 1000- 3000 in a hilly tribal area and 3000-5000 in a plain area is a basic unit to be chosen. The MP is free to identify and choose a suitable Gram Panchayat except for his own village or a village of his/her spouse.
Loksabha MP has to select a village from his own constituency and a Rajya Sabha MP can select a Gram Panchayat from the rural area in the State from which he/she is elected. Nominated MPs may choose any village in the country. MPs from urban constituencies where no Gram Panchayats exists have to identify a village from a nearby rural constituency.
The MP will lead and guide the related work and activities in the respective constituencies. She/he will motivate the community to actively participate in the development works. It needs a dedicated plan and coordination and convergence between the village and different government departments and ministries.
Activities under Adarsh Gram
Important activities under the Adarsh Gram to be considered are:
- To inculcate personal hygienic practices and healthy habits, reduce smoking, alcoholism etc.
- To promote volunteerism and active participation of all the people in the development of the village. To form different committees and groups of people to help reduce violence and crime, develop the sense of pride, organize sports events, cultural activities and celebrate festivals.
- To perform activities for overall human development which includes total immunization, providing health facilities, medical examination, balancing sex ratio, institutional deliveries, improving nutrition and status of women and children, universal education, e-literacy, adult literacy, e-libraries etc.
- For economic development of the village, it promotes diversified agriculture through organic farming, irrigation facilities, soil health cards, set up seed banks etc. It also promotes livestock development, industrial development, eco-tourism, infrastructure development, broadband connectivity, service center etc.
- For environment development of the village, provide toilets in each household and at public places, plant trees, develop water harvesting facilities, the revival of water bodies, reduce pollution etc.
- Provide basic amenities to all that includes pucca house, electric supply, road connectivity, safe drinking water etc.
- To implement state and central government social welfare and social security schemes.
Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana is a great initiative and the villages developed under the scheme can be inspiration and role models to be followed for development of other villages.
More Related Queries:
- Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana Model Village
- SAGY objectives/village list